The surveyors found the Pohick Episcopal Church Cemetery well maintained, with loving care. For such an old cemetery, the condition of the grave markers was remarkable. From the oldest marker, Will Harris (d. 1698) to the most recent markers, each was in good condition. Even unknown graves were remembered by a marker. Our FCCPA members only suggested to the congregation members that some of the older markers could be cleaned.
The church parish history traces back to George Washington’s father, Augustine. The Washington, Fairfax, and Mason families all worshiped here in their family pews. At one time, the brick church was nicknamed “General Washington’s church.” During the Civil War, the building suffered at the hands of Union soldiers who used it as a stable and also carved their names and initials into the outside church stones. Today, the church is active and serves many families of the community.